Join Us For A LIVE Healthy Happy Hour With The Ascend Team
We’re toasting with healthy cocktails and mocktails to celebrate Alexandria’s first #OldTownCocktailsWeek. Select a drink, grab the ingredients, and join us while we make and taste-test our drink recipes on Saturday at 5pm on Instagram live. Cheers!
Living your best life is all about finding a balance between making healthy choices while leaving room for some indulgences. Fun drinks (with or without alcohol) can add extra empty calories and leave you with a sugar or alcohol hangover, or even worse, both! With patio weather calling our name, we’re dishing up some tips on how to keep your happy hour on the healthier side. Then we’re testing out these recipes, and invite you to join and give us feedback!
Alcohol tends to be a treat for many and while drinking alcohol is not healthy, healthier choices can be made if choosing to imbibe. Plus, there are wellness benefits tied to the social aspect and connection that accompany a drink with friends. We believe that having fun with friends doesn’t need to sabotage your health goals!
Our Ascend tips for healthy libations, include:
· First, consider quantity of consumption. Plan in advance how many drinks you will consume over a set time period.
· Alternate a glass of water or sparkling water in between each drink to stay hydrated. Commit with a friend and hold each other accountable.
· Watch the sugar with pre-made mixes! Sugar-laden drinks are packed with calories, and sugar is often what contributes to headaches or foggy thinking the following day. Sorry friends, but frozen bevies are on this list (think margs, daiquiris, piña coladas).
· Use citrus fruit, muddled berries, or herbs to flavor your drink.
· Limiting ingredients is a great way to keep it clean and simple. Titos, soda water, squeeze of lime. Done. Having a “go-to” also helps prevent temptation.
· When choosing liquor, opt for light-colored options such as vodka or tequila. Darker liquors can contain chemicals that trigger more intense hangovers.
· Reach for organic, biodynamic wine to limit levels of sulfites, additives, and pesticides.
· Don’t drink on an empty stomach. We’re more likely to make poor choices when we’re hungry—and this includes what (or how much) we decide to drink or munch on once we’re at that point. Plus, food helps slow the absorption of alcohol into our bloodstream.
Are mocktails more your style?
For those who avoid alcohol, you can still indulge in a delicious beverage sans the booze. In fact, more and more people are choosing to limit or avoid alcohol for a variety of reasons. This sober curious movement is leading more establishments to offer fancy mocktails or alternatives. Further, working out with friends has become a new way to spend time together. Grabbing a post-workout smoothie or coffee can replace the bar scene altogether.
The Line Up: Happy Hour Cocktails and Mocktails
Join us on Saturday at 5 PM on Instagram Live. A few members of the Ascend Team will be whipping up these cocktails and we will be giving you our opinions on these healthy versions in the moment! Check out the recipes below, and grab a friend or two and join us by logging in and preparing your drink of choice with us!
Lady Kombucha Cooler
1½ ounces Cucumber & Mint vodka (or sub regular vodka with a few mint leaves)
1 lemon wedge, squeezed and juiced
3 ounces Health-Ade Pink Lady Apple Kombucha
1 thin slice apple
1 lemon twist
Add the vodka and lemon juice to a chilled glass with ice. Top with the kombucha and garnish with the apple slice and lemon twist.
Blush Lemon Rosé Cocktail
½ cup rosé wine
1 tbsp vodka
1 tbsp triple sec
½ tbsp fresh lemon juice plus lemon slices for garnish
Pour the rosé, vodka, triple sec, and lemon juice into a 4-ounce cocktail glass. Stir, and garnish with a lemon slice.
Source: Love & Lemons Everyday Cookbook
Pomegranate Grapefruit Paloma With CBD
1/4 Cup of grapefruit juice
1/4 Cup of pomegranate juice
Juice of half a lime
1 Tbsp of agave or simple syrup
2 ounces or 1/4 cup of tequila
CBD-infused soda water or regular soda water to top
CBD tincture optional
Coat half a tall glass rim with salt & sugar (optional). Fill glass with crushed ice. Add in the grapefruit juice, pomegranate juice, limejuice, agave, tequila and ice into a cocktail shaker. Shake for 30 seconds. Top cocktail with CBD-infused soda or regular soda water. If making with a tincture or oil pour tincture serving amount (according to bottle) into the shaker with other cocktail ingredients. Serve with a grapefruit wedge.
White Wine Grapefruit Spritzers
5 Ounces of your favorite white wine
6 Ounces of sparkling water or soda
1/2 Grapefruit, juiced
Mint for garnish
In a large glass add in grapefruit and wine. Top off with la croix (or similar) and mint garnish. Serve iced cold. Ice cubes optional.
Blackberry Kombucha Smash (mocktail version optional)
12 ounces ginger kombucha
½ cup fresh blackberries
2 oz vodka (omit for mocktail)
2 springs thyme, leaves removed from the stem.
Divide the berries and thyme leaves between two glasses. Using a smasher or wooden spoon, smash the berries until they form a jam-like consistency. Fill the glasses to the top with ice. Add the vodka (omit for mocktail) and top with kombucha. Stir the drink to combine and serve.
1 bunch fresh mint leaves
juice of 1 lime
½ tsp ground ginger
1 cup fermented or plain coconut water
stevia to taste (use maple syrup for autoimmune diet)
Mash mint leaves using mortar and pestle to release flavor. In a glass, mix mint with lime juice, ginger, coconut water and sweetener. Alternatively, place all ingredients in blender and blend.
Source: Hashimoto’s Food Pharmacology Book