Beach Quinoa Salad
For the Dressing:
¼ cup (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, smashed
sea salt or pink salt
freshly ground black pepper
For the Quinoa salad:
1 cup dried quinoa
2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained
1 pint (10 ounces) cherry tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
1 tablespoon oil of choice
Sea salt or pink salt
5 radishes, thinly sliced
5 scallions, thinly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper
6 large handfuls of arugula
2 avocados, sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment and set them aside.
2. For the dressing: Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice and mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the smashed garlic clove and let it marinate while you continue preparing the salad. Scoop out the garlic clove before pouring it onto the salad.
3. For the salad: Rinse and drain the quinoa. Put it in a small pot with 2 cups water, stir, and bring it to a boil. Once it’s boiling, reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover, and cook for about 15 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat, fluff the quinoa with a fork, and use a clean kitchen towel or paper towel to cover it. Place the pot lid back and let the quinoa steam for 5 minutes more, then remove the lid and let it cool completely. The quinoa can be cooked a day in advance.
4. Spread out the chickpeas on one of the baking sheets and the tomatoes on the other. Using the oil, lightly coat the chickpeas and tomatoes then sprinkle on a couple generous pinches of salt. Roast until the chickpeas start to turn golden and the tomatoes are glistening and starting to release their juices, about 35 minutes.
5. Let the chickpeas and tomatoes cool then transfer them to a large bowl. Toss them with the quinoa, radishes, scallions, and half of the dressing. Drizzle with the additional dressing as needed and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over generous handfuls of arugula with slices of avocado and lemon wedges.
Source: Good Clean Food (@cleanfooddirtycity)